#Girlfaith gets up close and personal with Michelle Williamsby Mercedes Brown
Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with me here at #GirlFaith. I've always been a huge fan of your music, your style and most importantly your Faith! And once I heard about your passion to help young girls I knew I had to get you on the #GF couch for some good old girl talk lol. So let's get to it:
1) As a multi platinum recording artist with a firm belief in Jesus, how do you stay strong in faith when your constantly on the go?
My faith is what keeps me grounded! My faith is what keeps me going! I wouldn’t trade my love for Jesus at all! I know God is the reason why I do what I do and I’d never abandon that at all.
2) What are your thoughts on social media and how it affects teen girls?
My thoughts on social media and how it affects teen girls really depends on the maturity of the girl. I do believe social media for the most part can be good. Of course it’s a few bad apples that can spoil the positive things about social media. I do hate how social media can be used as a bullying tool. Girls of faith should never engage in such behavior. I used to be bullied as a young girl and it doesn’t feel good at all. I’m actually still bullied today via social media but I ignore it. If you find yourself being emotionally affected by things on social media, take a break from it.
3) Have you ever struggled with identity or self image? If so, how did you overcome?
I have definitely struggled with identity and self image issues. I grew up being called all kinds of names because I was so skinny and bloomed a little later on than my other female friends. I knew there was nothing i could do about how God made me. As I got older I started to appreciate and be thankful for how I am. I used to HATE my legs but I LOVE THEM. I just go to the gym and work out. I find myself working out because of how great it makes me feel more so than how it makes me look. Of course I love the physical results, but I love the mental effects it has on me as well.
4) What tips do you have for young girls who desire to follow a dream but don't feel supported?
The tips that I have for young girls who don’t feel supported is to look outside where you’d normally get support from. Support won’t and doesn’t always have to come from family members or close friends. When I was in junior high school, my support came from a teacher who ended up being a mentor to me who nurtured the gift that she saw in me.
5) The bible constantly talks about the value of community and friendship? The #GirlFaith community was created for this very purpose. How has community/friendship impacted your life?
Community/Friendship is so important. A key to success in every area of life goes back to your relationships. Be sweet and always treat people with kindness and respect. You never know who will grow up and be in a position to bless you all because of how you treated them growing up.
6) Do you think its important to pray for your friends?
It is VERY important to pray for your friends. I love that I have friends that pray for me. I love that I can pray for as well. It’s awesome when God lays someone on my heart and I just say a prayer for them or even send them a text to let them know that I'm praying.
7) Do you pray daily?
I HAVE TO PRAY DAILY!! I can’t live without being in communication with God. Prayer is so important.
8) What tips do you have for young believers looking to follow Christ?
Following Christ is the best decision you will ever make. Having Christ in your life will make things better.
9) Lastly, what are your thoughts on girls having a social media outlet like #GirlFaith designed to bring them closer to Christ?
I'm so glad that their is an outlet like #GIRLFAITH. Girls need to know you can be "fierce" and "slay" with the Lord in your life.